Thursday, June 12, 2008

8 weeks old!

Austin is now 8 weeks old! It's hard to believe that he has been around for eight weeks already. It seems like yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital. And yet, at the same time, he is growing and changing so fast. He now weighs more than 11 lbs and is filling out and getting longer. He has begun outgrowing the newborn size outfits. In theory he should have outgrown these outfits much earlier since they are designed for babies from 5 to 8 lbs but then again, these outfits were too big when he was born. I don't claim to understand the sizing of infant clothing. Some of his 0-3 month outfits fit and others look big enough for a two year old. Go figure.

Austin has also learned to smile and is awarding us daily with beautiful smiles. There is nothing in this world like walking up to him and having him give you a big old goofy smile. He has been smiling at us for about two weeks but it took awhile for us to catch it on camera. See the slideshow below. (I was going to include just a couple of pictures but he is just so darn cute that I had to put in several!)

The weekend before last we went to a movie without Austin. This was momentous for a couple of reasons. First, it was the first movie we've been to in probably a year and then secondly, we were able to calmly leave Austin with his surrogate grandmother, Anita, and enjoy ourselves. Anita works at one of my audit clients and while I was pregnant offered to be a surrogate grandmother. She has two boys in college and says she cannot wait to have grandchildren. In the mean time, she babysits for a couple of babies to get her grandma fix. We did really well leaving him - no freaking out occurred. When the movie was over though, we both were ready to get back to him. He, of course, was an angel for Anita, so it seems to have worked out well for everyone.

On Monday I took Austin to meet Karie, the lady who will be his sitter when I go back to work. Austin will be one of four children that she watches. The other children were there as well as Karie's older daughter and another little girl who are starting full-day voluntary pre-school next week. Austin was rather wide-eyed at the kiddos (this was his first experience being around other children) but didn't get upset at all. I think he will be fine there. I, on the other hand, will be a complete wreck. I think I will need to take my whole makeup bag with me to work for the first couple of weeks so that I can redo my makeup after crying all the way to work!! It is a strange feeling. I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom (or "domestic manager", as a friend of mine calls herself) but it is going to be so hard to leave him and go to work!
It is not a slight thing when those so fresh from God love us.
--Dickens


If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God, one need not go far to find it. I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle.
--Vincent van Gogh